Thursday, April 16, 2015

Compassion

Little bunny at the green school in Bali

Compassion is kind of a touchy subject, especially when the topic at hand is animals and how we treat them. Some people will stay silent, some will debate and some will fight to the death for what they believe in. While there might be some shades of grey in between it all, for the most part when it comes to ethics or veganism, it's like religion to most.

When I first went vegan I'll be the first to admit that I was one of those "pushy" vegans and even though my intentions were pure, it wasn't quite the way to go about it. I quickly learnt that people are easier fooled than convinced they are being fooled, if I really wanted people to start SEEING I would have to switch up my strategy.

I started simply leading by example, it may not be the quickest method but it's certainly effective. People around me started seeing my results and wanting to know what my "secrets" we're and I'm sure they never expected to hear PLANTS come out of my mouth. I started Crossfit at the same time as I went plant based and I have never been as strong as I am now living this lifestyle.


Ok to get onto the real topic now. For most, living in denial and bliss is much simpler, which is why the majority of people live this way. And for 20 years of my life I lived the exact same way as everyone else, how was I to know if I was never shown or told different? I try my best to give the benefit of doubt to people because I know that 4 years ago I was right where they are now.

Although, nowadays it's almost hard to NOT see what's really happening in the world and how we are treating our fellow earthlings. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I'll snap and I'll blurt out some smart ass comment about veganism or animals and it most of the time makes the other person feel uncomfortable. Now what you need to realize is that, if a simple little comment from me makes you feel this way, try quadrupling (now times that another 50,000 times) that and that's how I feel when I hear or see a lack of compassion towards animals.

I didn't grown up loving animals any more than the next person but I was lucky enough to be exposed to the truth behind it all, which changed my life for the better. 

To me it's quite simple in my head:
1) Don't eat your friends
2) Don't cause harm to others
3) You can live a completely healthy and vibrant
life without animal products or byproducts


But what people don't seem to realize is that they're practicing speciesism. This practice came about simply because humans are cocky assholes that truly believe that we as the human race are superior to all other species. Similar to how all religions believe that their religion is better than the next and that theirs is the ONLY option. 

The thing here is the fact that this is completely backwards because humans are actually 100% USELESS. If something as small as bees or ants were to die off the WHOLE planet would collapse. If humans were to die off, the planet would completely and naturally restore itself and every other earthling would live a jolly ol' life and celebrate our departure.

Do you see how completely useless we really are? 
Pollution, humans. California's water drought, humans. Global warming, humans. Death of 150 billion animals a year, humans. Extinction of some animals, humans. World hunger, humans. War, humans. The list goes on and on and on, when is this monstrosity going to end...

 Make the change you want to see in the world.

A bientot,
Janelle Brine

No comments:

Post a Comment