Monday, April 6, 2015

Epic gym fail...

Gainzzzz.

So this morning we were at the gym as per usual and once in a while this tall somewhat fit dude will be working out at the same time as us. Every single time he's there I can't help but either shake my head in sympathy for him, internally laugh or fear for his life.

Today was a fear for his life type of day, he decided to do bench press and deadlifts this time around. He's one of those super annoying people that grunts and groans unnecessarily loud by himself while doing the exercises wrong and dangerously. 

I didn't pay too much attention to his bench press as I was warming us for back squats but I could definitely hear him from across the gym. By the time we got to the squat rack he was onto deadlifts and he was loading that bar with 45's like a champ. 

At one point I was just about to do my set of squats and I just so happened to look up in the mirror and I saw the monstrosity, that was his deadlift. I looked at Vee and said "I have to say something right?". Now a lot of people may think it's rude or not my business to say something to this stranger, but as a long term personal trainer, I had to.

Pic on the left is what he was doing but he was worse.

I put my bar back on the rack and I turned to inform him that I'm a certified personal trainer and that I advise him to lower the weights to permit him to keep his back straight. I went on to stating that if he kept rounding his back as such that he would injure himself which I was simply trying to help him avoid.

This is our short conversation that followed my attempt to help him stay injury free.

Him: I'm doing rounded back deadlifts.
Me: That doesn't exist and you're going to hurt your back if you keep doing that at that weight.
Him: I've been doing this for 10 years and I haven't broken my back yet!
Me: Well I've been a personal trainer for 8 years and I strongly advise that you take a step back from trying to lift as much as you can and work on technique and keeping your back straight.
Him: yeah, I don't why but I've never been able to keep my back straight, but thanks!
 
During and after we spoke I could tell that he half appreciated my concern and was half embarrassed. This wasn't my first time being concerned for someone at the gym but I have noticed something with the few times I have said something. When I try to help a woman, she listens and is thankful that I took the time to help her. When it's been men, they either just nod and have a look that screams "pffffttt as if I'm going to listen to a woman for gym advice" or they just ignore me. 

Not only men but everyone needs to check their egos once in a while because there is nothing more unattractive and annoying than cockiness and obnoxiousness. Be humble and open minded, and if someone is trying to help you in any way just take it in and be respectful. 


Anyway this dude went on to later asking me if I was doing the Crossfit Games because it looked like I was doing a lot of Crossfit movements. I told him "No way", and thought that joining a box would be so beneficial for him but I just smiled and finished my set of shoulder press instead of going all Crossfit projectile vomit on him.

Just another day at the globo gym I guess, seeing all the ridiculousness around me makes me miss and appreciate my love for functional movements and solid technique. Ohh and they don't have chalk at this gym and it makes me feel unwholesome, after all chalk does make you stronger.

Kelowna Crossfit I miss you like crazy and I can't wait to be back to throw down this summer! Booyahh!

A bientot,
Janelle Brine

No comments:

Post a Comment